Greetings! I think you are here because you are interested in answer to the question “How to get rid of carpenter ants?” Ok, let’s talk about!
One of the unwanted and uninvited guests in the human habitation is considered carpenter ant. He, along with ginger brownie “namesake” brings a lot of trouble. The main of them – carry on themselves dysentery, polio, typhoid, plague. Infect territory eggs of worms.
Why is difficult to deal with insects
Vitality ants and a strong tendency to replenish the population is explained as follows:
- Omnivorous: use any product, but especially preferred residues of food, rich in carbohydrates and animal proteins.
- Small size allowing to hide in secret, inaccessible or humid locations. Moving in our homes, carpenter ant and his team occupy bathrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, etc..
- The ability to remain viable without food and water in the period of five days.
Carpenter ant: characterization of household pest
Ants are considered to be the most numerous family of intellectually developed among insects. Carpenter ant has a reputation in the family of one of the largest representatives of: the soldiers grow up to a length of 15-18 mm. The characteristic frosted abdomen with little noticeable reddish tint at the base. Its name derives from the fact that equips the home-nest in the wooden parts of the house. Therefore, insects can be detected as a veranda or in the room, throughout the room.
Attention! Not to be confused with the carpenter ant, having a little black matte body. He lives mainly in pine, hardwood, mixed forests, glades, furnished their nests in dry stumps and wood remains.
Black kinsman – carpenter ant, not living in human habitations
If termites eat wood, the carpenter ants use it only to create their nests. Paving moves “quiet glanders” gradually transform even the most selective of the log in rotten wood. Penetrating into the house settling, they get it “on rations”: eat from your table and drink water from a variety of sources. Not averse to eat other insects weaker. The process of existence – colony. They may be, there are about 10 million. Specimens. The life cycle of an ant – 12 months. Therefore, if time does not start a fight, the damage log cabins, wooden beams, building wood, the floor structure can be applied to very significant.
Signs that the house inhabited by ants, carpenter
- In appearance it is a black or dark-brown member of the family having a segmented body and three pairs of legs. At present the head slightly bent, “antenna”, antennae, 4 or 5 mandibles. The female with wings, which resets after the breeding season. Males are slightly smaller (9-12 mm), also winged.
- “Hard workers” have no wings. Learn these insects can be characteristic for the track on which they are not straying from the route, moving one after the other.
- “Next”, typical for carpenter ants, trash, resembling frayed flour in small sawdust. This is the result of the insects that build a nest in a wooden box, wall, beam, support, etc.. In short, wherever there is a moist tree.
- Upon detection of masonry can be seen round white eggs. They are difficult, but can be discerned with the naked eye. Larva to 0.5 mm yellowish. There can be and pupae.
How to find the nest?
To effectively combat insects, you need to destroy the nest, then the entire population will leave home in search of a better place. To do this, you need to be patient and see where working individuals are food. Near clumps of rot should place the bait (sweetness, a drop of jam, etc.). Taking it “on trial”, drag the treat ant jack. The trail takes you to the wall, cabinet, door frame, etc.. If the ant is within reach, it can be treated by various means. If it is hidden or inaccessible, the only way to act on insects – to spread the poisonous bait.
Female resets wings
Attention! Use of it will only be the case if a poisoned substance acts immediately. Its effect will manifest itself gradually. Otherwise, the worker ant die itself before the poison will carry a female socket and feed as well as other insects. Helium toxic mixture in contact with the intestinal ant system operates slowly, which will allow for three days full of lime population.
Before you decide on the toxic substance, it is necessary to assess the extent of damage already done. It happens very often that the tree was pitted ant moves. If it is possible to change the damaged cladding elements with new, better do it.
When the location of the nests in the public domain should immediately treat them with powder or gel formulations. Powder kills, first and foremost, female-queen, and then the entire population in the nest. Apply gel strip along the ant tracks. Effectively acting drugs such as:
- Drione Pest Insecticide Dust.
- Feverfew (concentrate).
- Diatomaceous earth.
- Delta Dust.
- Expel powder.
- Granular «Mrowkofon».
How to get rid of carpenter ants? Traditional methods.
- Although the chemicals in the form of aerosols are considered ineffective, national way of spraying frequented places “tenants” in the following composition: in one liter of water to completely dissolve 150 g of iodized salt, sufficiently effective. This mixture twice a day to spray the nest itself and places of the greatest congestion of ants. Track can not touch: wayward insects begin to look for another place for the nest.
- Do not forget the proven boric acid. It is in free sale in pharmacies, the Internet network, garden stores. The chemical is mixed in a 3: 1 ratio with powdered sugar. The resulting mixture is distributed in boxes, lids out of plastic bottles on the premises in the places of greatest congestion of ants. Curious insect, mired in a sweet bait legs or bringing it to the body, infecting themselves and neighbors in the socket. Getting inside the body of an ant, the acid begins its destructive action as rust eats his insides.
- Enjoy success and electronic ultrasonic repellents. Generated instrument sound is beyond the threshold of sensitivity of the human ear, but the insects are under its influence leave the territory.
- Do not neglect and Chinese crayons.
Boric acid and sugar powder – best for killing carpenter ants.
How to protect housing from the ingress of carpenter ants?
In order not to have to solve the problem of how to get rid of insects, it is necessary to create conditions unfavorable to their residence.
- Exclude any ingress of insects is in the room: the window trim hanging branches of fruit trees and shrubs.
- Do not create ant settlements sources: time to clean up the garbage heap of fallen leaves, fallen branches, etc..
- Conduct constantly wet cleaning, without leaving on the table food waste and spilled liquid.
- Keep covered with trash.
- Do not leave unwashed dishes in the kitchen.
- Repair leaking plumbing.
- Repaired cracks, cracked, adjust the door so as not to sag.
- Protect openings (windows, doors, vents, transoms) grids.
Use natural repellents: turmeric, ground pepper (black, red), and essential lavender oil, talc in the composition of baby powder. In establishing the fact that ants have bred, a lot of them, scaring techniques will not help. Preparations to be applied based insecticides. Chemicals of high efficiency will save them forever of the pesky “neighbors”.
That’s all we wanted to tell about question “How to get rid of carpenter ants?” right now. Are you satisfied? Write us in comments.